Sunday, October 31, 2010

in Matera

Hi folks,

Just a quick post to let you know of my whereabouts. I'm in Matera, in the province of Basilicata. Its a Unesco World Heritage site. Really need dwellings in caves called Sassi.

I have a few posts, but no chance to upload photos so I think I'll just wait. Tomorrow, I head to Taranto, which is in Puglia (home of AMAZING food and wine). I've decided to spend more time there as it is flat and warmer than Abruzzo and Molise.

Overall, I am doing well although my body has taken a beating with the riding. The riding has been more dificult than last trip, and this is not because of my fitness. Rather, its a combo of things. 1) my bike is steel and has smaller tires. This makes it slower going relative to my last tour, which I rode with an aluminum frame bike with bigger (circumference) tires. 2) I am carrying more things due to colder weather. 3) Its been all up and down along the coast! 4) Its rained a fair amount. The tough riding makes me hungry and I have a rather insatiable apettite... which is good in Italy.

Salve!

Caleb

No comments:

Post a Comment